Members & Friends:
The Northwest Arkansas Community College Board of Trustees will meet TONIGHT to vote on a resolution to opt out of Act 226, which allows college employees and staff in Arkansas to carry concealed guns on campus, as long as the carrier is licensed. The board is getting pressure from the college staff leaders to keep the campus gun free. NWACC administrators have recommended that the school’s Board of Trustees opt out of the legislation and post signs in all entrances noting that concealed handguns are prohibited.
The recommendation and attached resolution that the administration sent to the Board of Trustees is shown at the bottom of this email. The resolution is signed by NWACC President Becky Paneitz, Faculty Senate President Bryan Aguiar, Staff Council President Lenora Sotlar and Student Government Association President Jesse Pierce. We ask that you please contact the NWACC Board of Trustees members BEFORE 5:00PM TODAY, May 13, to voice your support of campus carry and urge them NOT to opt out.
Email addresses for the nine members of the NWACC Board of Trustees are listed below. If you would like to email all members at once, you can use the links below. Simply click on the link that corresponds to the device you are using, and all email addresses should automatically load into your email program. Write your message and hit send.
(If clicking the Email All link does not work, right click and select copy email addresses and start a new message in your email program)
The Board of Conservative Arkansas
|BOARD MEMBER||E-MAIL ADDRESS|
|Mr. Scott Grigsbyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Daniel Shewmakeremail@example.com|
|Mr. Mike Shupefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Todd Schwartzemail@example.com|
|Mr. Geovanny Sarmientofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Richard Cliffordemail@example.com|
|Ms. Amy Forrest||Amy_Forrest@CHS.net|
|Mr. Mauricio Herrerafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Joe Spiveyemail@example.com|
The NWACC administration’s recommendation and proposed resolution:
Date: May 13, 2013
To: Board of Trustees
From: Dr. Ricky Tompkins, Interim VP for Learning
Subject: Approval of Resolution Disallowing the Carrying of a Concealed Handgun
The NWACC administration recommends that the Board exercise its option to exempt the institution from Act 226 of 2013 and not allow employees (with a permit to carry a concealed weapon) to carry a concealed weapon on the College’s Campus or instructional Centers by approving the resolution disallowing the carrying of a concealed weapon.
Recommendation: The administration recommends that the Board exercise its option to exempt the institution from Act 226 of 2013 and not allow employees (with a permit to carry a concealed weapon) to carry a concealed weapon on the College’s Campus or instructional Centers by approving the resolution disallowing the carrying of a concealed weapon.
Mr. Ric Clifford, Chairperson Mr. Dan Shewmaker, Secretary
NWACC BOARD OF TRUSTEES
RESOLUTION ON THE CONCEALED CARRY OF HANDGUNS ON CAMPUS BY TRAINED AND LICENSED STAFF ON CAMPUS
WHEREAS, Northwest Arkansas Community College (NWACC) is a public institution of higher education that receives regular budgetary support from the State of Arkansas, and that is required to report to the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and
WHEREAS, it is unlawful for any person other than a law enforcement officer or a commissioned officer in the employ of NWACC to knowingly carry or possess a loaded firearm or other deadly weapon in any publicly owned building or facility, and
WHEREAS, a “staff” member means a person who is not enrolled as a full-time student at NWACC, and is either employed by NWACC full time or is on a nine-month or twelve month appointment at NWACC as a faculty member, and
WHEREAS, Act 226 of 2013 requires that the Board of Trustees at NorthWest Arkansas Community College approve a policy with regard to the carry of concealed handguns on campus by trained and licensed staff members who possess a concealed carry permit.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
- That the Board of Trustees of NWACC adopts this policy expressly disallowing the carrying of a concealed handgun by staff members in college owned or controlled buildings and grounds, and
- That this Board policy expires one (1) year after adoption and must be readopted each year by the Board of Trustees at their annual meeting in January to remain in effect, and
- That NWACC’s commissioned law enforcement officers employed within the NWACC Department of Public Safety are exempt from this policy, and
- That NWACC’s Administration will conduct an annual analysis of its capacity to provide a safe and resilient environment that enhances the learning experience and supports the College’s educational mission, and
- That this analysis will accompany future requests to either readopt this policy or to adopt differing policies for the carrying of a concealed handgun by trained and licensed staff members for different campuses, areas of a campus, or individual buildings of the college for which the Board of Trustees is responsible, and
- That NWACC will post at the entrance of all facilities and parking lots controlled or owned by NWACC clearly written notifications readable at a distance of not less than ten feet that
“Carrying A Handgun Is Prohibited”
NWACC Board of Trustees Chair NWACC Board of Trustees Secretary